After moving into the recently empty Parrish Mansion, Peter and Judy Shepard find a bizarre board game in their attic, but once they roll the dice, they're transported into the dangerous jungle world of Jumanji with a mysterious clue stating "Clear as ice, but worth the price."
There they are instantly overcome with fear when they encounter a Minotaur and a jungle man. Before the man can interact with them, he is sacred off by gunfire from Van Pelt, the vicious hunter who takes the children to his lodge to interrogate them. Judy and Peter begin bickering which agitates Van Pelt into firing at them, but they are saved by Alan Parish, a jungle-man who has been trapped in Jumanji for many years.
Alan then takes Judy and Peter back to his cave for shelter, revealing that he only played Jumanji once and has spent 23 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days surviving on his own since no other players survived as long as him. When Judy asks about his clue, Alan reveals he never knew about it since he never read the rules or saw the crystal ball message which is why he's still trapped: therefore he's unable to solve his clue and free himself. He decides to help Judy and Peter solve their clue hoping it'll free him. In the answer to their clue, he starts searching for a Crystal Monkey Puzzle in his cave which may be answer to their clue. Peter crawls through the tunnel and starts to try and solve the puzzle, which triggers the appearance of a giant Spider and several small sized ones which attack the trio. Frustrated, Peter smashes the puzzle and puts the broken pieces together which creates the complete monkey face allows the three to return to the real world.
Alan is delighted to be back in Brantford for the first time in 23 years, but because Peter cheated in solving the puzzle, Jumanji punishes him by transforming him into a Monkey. Alan knows that Jumanji hates cheaters which means their turn is not over yet, evidently when vegetation starts to overrun the Mansion and stampeding animal inhabitants begin rampaging through Brantford,
When entering the attic, now a gateway to Jumanji, they are captured again by Van Pelt who demands they hand over the crystal, until Alan lies that they handed it over to the Manji tribe. Van Pelt holds the trio captive in a camp, anticipating the stalking Manjis in the bushes and reeling the Minotaur. With the help of Tribal Bob and the Manjis, they throw the hunter into a Pod's jaws are able to return the puzzle to the Manjis. Tribal Bob, in return for Peter saving his life and Peter's honesty, completes most of the puzzle then hands it to Peter to finish. With the puzzle and their clue solved, Judy and Peter return home, but Alan is sucked back into the game as he still hasn't completed his turn.
Judy and Peter then decide to continue playing the game and try to help Alan find his lost clue and free him too as he helped them escape. After Peter brings a large handful of Crunchy Munchies for Alan, the two prepare to return to the game with Judy rolling the dice.
References to filmEdit
- Some scenes pay homage to the live-action Jumanji film. Such as the kids moving into the abandoned Parrish Mansion and meeting Alan for the first time after his 20+ years inside the game.
- The appearance of the giant Spider before escaping Jumanji into the Parrish Mansion's attic mirrors the attic Spider attack scene from the 1995 film.
- Peter transforming into a monkey while trying to cheat is taken straight from the live-action film.
- The Stampede wrecking the house and vines appearing that forms the house into a jungle are taken straight from the live-action film. An Elephant even clambers onto of a car, totally crushing it flat.
- Officer Carl Bentley's antics from the film were repeated in the episode such as being blown away when trying to enter the Parrish Mansions and Monkeys stealing his squad car out from under him.
- The Episode was included on the 2018 HMV Jumanji Steelbook, which was deliberately released to coincide with the new Jumanji film. Along with the succeeding episode, the Steelbook included the 1995 Jumanji film, an animated edition of the original Jumanji storybook read by author Chris Van Allsburg and a sneak peek at Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.
|Jumanji: The Series|
|Season 1||"Price" • "Bargaining for Time" • "Masked Identity" • "Ransom of Redhead" • "Master Builder" • "No Dice" • "Love on the Rocks" • "Law of Jumanji" • "Stormy Weather" • "El Pollo Jumanji" • "Perfect Match" • "Gift" • "Truth or Consequently"|
|Season 2||"The Red and the Black" • "Eye of the Sea" • "Brantford: The Game" • "Air Judy" • "The Palace of Clues" • "The Master of the Game" • "Robo-Peter" • "Mud Boy" • "The Magic Chest" • "The Trial" • "The Riddle of Alan" • "Night of the Hunters" • "The Plague"|
|Season 3||"The Three Peters" • "Young Alan" • "The Intruder" • "Oh, Grow Up!" • "Return of Squint" • "Armageddon" • "Love Potion" • "Sorceress of Jumanji" • "The Ultimate Weapon" • "Who Am I?" • "Nothing to Fear" • "The Doll" • "An Old Story" • "Good Bye, Jumanji"|