- “The coolest girl in school just got a harsh reality check. Trapped in the body of an overweight, middle-aged man, her looks are no longer her greatest asset.”
- —Jumanji movie website
He is the avatar of Bethany Walker.
Oberon is described as a genius and code-breaker.
- Cartography: He is an expert in the study of maps, making him the only character who is able to read the Map of Jumanji.
- Archaeology: He is an expert in the study of ancient human history.
- Paleontology: He is an expert in the study of prehistoric life.
- Endurance: Presumably referring to him having low stamina, evident by his robust physique.
Causes of Death
- Eaten by Hippo: At the beginning of the game, Shelly (Bethany) stood by the riverbank compelling about her avatar and debating her state of being, unaware of a Hippo basking in the river behind him. It was presumably agitated by the group's bickering and ran out of the water, attacked and brutally devoured Shelly (Beth) while the group watched in shock and horror.
- CPR: Unlike the other characters, Shelly (Bethany) did not get killed twice. The second time Shelly (Bethany) lost a life to voluntarily give it to Seaplane McDonough (Alex) before dying permanently from a fatal Mosquito bite.
Prof. Shelly Oberon is one of four playable avatars in the official site's Rhino Run game. He must escape Jumanji by running through fixed routes of randomised hazards and collect gems by pressing the keyboard arrows or touch screen to move left or right. The more levels the avatar progresses through, the faster the speed will become and hazards will be harder to avoid. Collecting Shelly's map powerups will enable him to ride an Elephant for a brief period and render him invincible.
- Shelly is essentially an abridged version of the Guide from the original picture book, since they are known to read maps.
- Shelly is the first character to lose a life in the film, introducing the players to the concept of having lives to worry about. Shelly was the only character to lose a life intentionally when he gave one of his lives to Seaplane McDonough (Alex) to save his life from being lost permanently.
- The reason why Bethany chose Oberon was because his nickname was Shelly and was labeled the Curvy Genius; obvious misleads in believing Dr. Oberon was a female avatar.
- His symbol on the closing credits next to his actor's credit is a Hippopotamus, referencing Shelly (Bethany) losing a life to one at the game start.
|Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle|
|Jumanji||Smolder Bravestone • Ruby Roundhouse • Franklin "Mouse" Finbar • Shelly Oberon • Seaplane McDonough • Nigel Billingsley|
|Brantford||Bethany Walker • Spencer Gilpin • Martha Kaply • Anthony Johnson • Alex Vreeke • Principal Bentley • Coach Webb • Lucinda • "Old Man" Vreeke|
|Antagonists||Russel Van Pelt • Russel Van Pelt's Army|
|Animals||Rhinoceros • Elephant • Monkey • Crocodile • Bat • Mosquito • Spider • Jaguar • Hippopotamus • Zebra • Snake • Vulture • Orangutan|
|Objects||Board Game • Video Game • Jaguar's Eye|
|Locations||Jumanji Realm • Brantford • Brantford High School • Bazaar • Jaguar Shrine • Parrish Treehouse • Transportation Shed • Vreeke House|