- “The girl next door is instantly transformed into a drop-dead gorgeous bombshell. Can she embrace her new look and still stay true to herself?”
- —Jumanji movie website
She is the avatar of Martha Kaply.
Ruby Roundhouse is described as a killer of men.
- Karate: She is an expert in karate.
- Tai'Chi: She is an expert in tai'chi.
- Aikido: She is an expert in aikido.
- Dance Fighting: This ability is activated whenever the song, "Oh Baby I Love Your Way" plays.
- Venom: Venom is instantly fatal to her. It takes up to 10 seconds before the venom kills her.
Causes of Death
- Shot: During the level when the group is chased by bikers, Ruby (Martha) discovered she was shot and bled to death and vaporised before she could do anything about it.
- Bitten by a Snake: When Ruby (Martha) retrieved the Jaguar's Eye in the final level, Van Pelt threatened her to give him the jewel since she was surrounded by Snakes. Ruby (Martha) however did plan ahead and prompted one of them to bite her (even though this costs her a life) allowing her to vaporize but quickly regenerate into the game from the sky above and passed Bravestone (Spencer) the Eye at the Jaguar summit and return the Eye to finish the game.
Ruby Roundhouse is one of four playable avatars in the official site's Rhino Run game. She must escape Jumanji by running through fixed routes of randomised hazards and collect gems by pressing the keyboard arrows or touch screen to move left or right. The more levels the avatar progresses through, the faster the speed will become and hazards will be harder to avoid. Collecting Ruby's stereo powerups will enable her to ride an Elephant for a brief period and render her invincible.
- She is the only female avatar.
- Ruby Roundhouse is a parody of video game heroine, Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider series.
- Her weakness of snake venom is a homage to the character and film series of Indiana Jones, who also inspired the character of Lara Croft, Smolder Bravestone (even wearing a fedora hat in concept photos) and the cinematic adventure feel of the movie. Near the end of the movie, Ruby actually used her weakness to her strategic advantage when she was cornered by Russel Van Pelt.
- Her ability of "Dance Fighting" is somewhat misleading, the martial art Capoeira is often referred to as dance fighting, while Roundhouse's ability is just fighting to music.
- Her symbol on the closing credits next to her actress's credit is Snakes, referencing her weakness of Venom. A stereo is also on the closing credits, referencing her dance-fighting ability.
- When the trailers first came out, Ruby's outfit created some sort of controversy. Karen Gillan who played Ruby in the movie, admitted that the costume was too sexual; but she exclaimed in an interview, that was the point. She wouldn't have done the movie and worn the costume if there was no point attached to it, also a different actress would've been cast as the avatar.
|Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle|
|Jumanji||Smolder Bravestone • Ruby Roundhouse • Franklin "Mouse" Finbar • Shelly Oberon • Seaplane McDonough • Nigel Billingsley|
|Brantford||Bethany Walker • Spencer Gilpin • Martha Kaply • Anthony Johnson • Alex Vreeke • Principal Bentley • Coach Webb • Lucinda • "Old Man" Vreeke|
|Antagonists||Russel Van Pelt • Russel Van Pelt's Army|
|Animals||Rhinoceros • Elephant • Monkey • Crocodile • Bat • Mosquito • Spider • Jaguar • Hippopotamus • Zebra • Snake • Vulture • Orangutan|
|Objects||Board Game • Video Game • Jaguar's Eye|
|Locations||Jumanji Realm • Brantford • Brantford High School • Bazaar • Jaguar Shrine • Parrish Treehouse • Transportation Shed • Vreeke House|